INTEGRATING EDUCATION WITH CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR RELEVANT TO ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND CLIMATE CHANGE AT THE UNIVERSITIES OF RUSSIA, SRI LANKA AND BANGLADESH / BECK
Project reference number: 598746-EPP-1-2018-1-LT-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Grant Agreement number: 2018 – 2489 / 001 – 001
Key Action: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices
Action Type: Capacity Building in higher education
Start Date: 15/11/2018
End Date: 14/11/2021
Aims and objectives
Climate change is a result of modern human lifestyles and activities: heating in buildings, power consumption, cars and aircraft, industrial companies and other activities in the built environment contribute greatly to climate change. Climate change leads to extreme weather events, such as storms, flooding, droughts and heat waves. In the last decade, the world suffered thrice as many weather-related natural disasters as in the 1960s. One of the possible solutions to these problems is improvement of education in environmental protection technology based on consumer behaviour related to energy efficiency and climate change (hereafter BECK education). The main challenge is to consolidate a variety of diverse activities in education quality improvement, such as the delivery of extensive educational programmes and capacity building, the continued knowledge sharing, etc. In order to progress on these efforts, it is necessary to build the capacity and an associated network of experts and institutions.
The education sector is vitally important for social and economic development of Russia (Region 4), Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (Region 6). Both regions distinguish education in Engineering and engineering trends as a key priority (Category A). This priority covers Environmental protection technology, including solutions relevant to energy efficiency and climate change.
Wider objective of the project – to upgrade the curricula with 16 new harmonized multidisciplinary adaptive MOOC modules on environmental protection technology in the Russian, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh universities in order to increase their capacity to continually modernise, enhance the quality and relevance of education of students to the global market needs and to ensure international cooperation.
Main objectives of BECK project:
- To upgrade curricula of BSc/specialists, MSc and PhD programmes in Russian, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh universities by adding 16 new multidisciplinary adaptive, recognised and certificated MOOC modules on consumer behavior related to energy efficiency and climate change, to enhance the quality and relevance of education in PC and EU universities to global issues;
- To transfer European practices in education (learning and teaching tools, methodologies and pedagogical approaches including learning outcomes and ICT-based practices) from participating EU universities to PC universities;
- To assist competence development of teachers within PC universities;
- To develop the Simulated Big Data Interuniversity Networked Affective Educational Centre to encourage use of ICT-based methodologies in education and research;
- To strengthen educational and scientific networking among EU and PC universities in the BECK field.
The project in general terms also will spread and promote the awareness in the Partner Countries related to the EU policies referred to Energy Efficiency and Climate Change approach towards EU best practices, with specific reference to the “Environmental & Energy 20-20-20 targets”.